This Wednesday March 8th is International Women’s Day (IWD). IWD is a globally recognized day that celebrates the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women and recognizes the challenges stilled faced in achieving gender equality.
Doesn’t gender equality already exist in Canada? Not for another 170 years according the World Economic Forum. In 2186 the gender gap will close completely.
In the meantime women in Canada are under represented in leadership roles (21% on boards of FP 500 companies) and politics (26% elected to parliament) and there is a wage gap of over 30% across average earnings for women in all job tenures. Women continue to be responsible for the majority of care giving and continue to experience higher rates of gender-based violence.
Well I know that isn’t right but what can I do as one person? How can I have an impact and speed up the 170-year wait for parity?
“We all have the ability and potential to be leaders within our own spheres of influence by taking action.”
It doesn’t have to be big to be bold. It doesn’t have to be an ‘ah-ha’, life changing moment to have impact.
IWD marks a call to action with the challenge to #BeBoldForChange, this year’s campaign theme. We, at tellent, dig that and are committing to being bold and inspiring action within our sphere of influence … YOU!
Here are some of the ways you can #BeBoldForChange with us.
- Put Gender on your agenda – in your homes by educating your children and in your offices by increasing awareness of the challenges.
- Challenge bias and discrimination – if you see it, speak out against it. If you face it, be brave and challenge it.
- Start a conversation – share your successes and challenges. Give inspiration and insights to those who will follow your footsteps. Let’s cut a path to make it easier for those who will come behind us.
- Commit to becoming a mentor, in a business or social capacity.
- Sign up to tellent and join a movement. A community of women dedicated to defining their own version of happiness.
Now please share your commitment with us on facebook. I will build a wall of bold actions and images to be shared with the global movement. Be Bold. Be Brave. And for the love of our children and grandchildren, let’s speed up the progress on parity!